How active are you?
Being active doesn't mean you have to be hitting the gym 5 days a week, for hours at a time. Being more active is simply moving more, in everyday life. At the moment there is a high number of the population that live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Taking public transport to and from work, working at a desk based job (me included in some of my previous roles) and then sitting on the sofa in the evening. Having this cycle and having minimal movement in our day can be detrimental to the way our body functions on the inside and out. Our bodies need movement, so becoming more active in everyday life is going to help your body function better and ultimately help you feel happier. Here are a 5 ways that you can incorporate into your daily routine to help you move more!
1. Changing up your commute to and from work - get off a couple of stops earlier and walk the rest of the way, cycle to work (use Santander bikes) or if you're feeling energised enough in the mornings or evenings run to work
2. Getting up from your desk every few hours, having a stretch and walking around for 5-10 minutes. It is also important that you take a lunch break, even if its not for very long. Stretch your legs, get away from your screen/desk and have some fresh air
3. Take the stairs instead of the escalator. If there really aren't any stairs, then walk up the escalator - don't just stand there! This is also going to help to build a perkier peach
4. Walk. Whether it's 10 or 30 minutes a day, go for a walk either before/after work or during the day. Start with 10 minutes, even if its just a quick loop round the block and increase it up to 30. This is going to help get the blood pumping and can help reduce stress and clear the mind
5. Walk and talk. We spend a lot of time on our phones talking whether its on a conference call at work or to a friend at home. Get up and walk and talk whilst you are on the phone, this can be done anywhere - at home, outside or in work (even if it's just in circles). This is a great opportunity to stretch the legs whilst multitasking
These are just 5 simple hacks you can incorporate into your daily routine which can help you live a more active lifestyle.
Let me know if you try any of them out and how you get on with it!